Saturday 26 April 2014

Nneka Egbuna Was Once Arrested For Singing Fela Inspired Song

Nneka Egbuna got fired as a sales girl years back and to finance her studies she started looking for a job, and ended up getting a deal with Sony Music after she presented them with four of her songs and organizing a show to prove that she is good,  before then, she had never thought she was going to be a musician , let alone winning an award. She  didn’t see myself as somebody who had a good voice.The likes of Omawunmi  were the ones with good voices. They were in the school choir and they always admired them and their courage, not her.

Cynthia Morgan: If A Fan Bullies Me, I Bully Back…

Nneka said  “I was always laid back and I would sit quietly at a corner. I never wanted to be the centre of attraction. I had to eventually tell myself that, ‘Nneka, it’s okay to sing.’ I told myself it was okay to earn money.”  And when she started her music career, she became a trouble to some quarters in Nigeria.

Frank Lampard and Jose Mourinho Photos  In A Murder Case Trial

She narrates one of her ugly experiences as an artiste: “I performed in Port Harcourt some-time ago during the Niger Delta Peace concert and officials of the State Security Service got me arrested. I performed my song, VIP, which was inspired by the late Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. VIP means Vagabonds in Power. The song is about the oppression in the Niger Delta. I made the audience sing along with me during that performance. The politicians didn’t find the song funny. They sent the SSS to arrest me. I don’t know how but we eventually got out of it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment